Location: Canadian Rockies Photo Adventure
Dates: October 5-11 (2017)
Tuition: $ 1975
Group Size: Max. 8
Instructors: Ken Koskela and Josh Merrill
Tour Overview: The Canadian Rockies are a place of unparalleled beauty and adventure. From jagged, snow-packed peaks to the most unbelievable blue and turquoise glacial lakes, the Canadian Rockies do not dissapoint. One of the premier destinations in the world for photography, we will photograph iconic mountain scenes in their early Winter splendor. We will also explore some lesser-photographed locations. Photographic opportunities will include Northern Lights(Weather and Solar Activity Permitting), Star-Filled Skies at night with the Rocky Mountains as a foreground, Waterfalls of Turquoise Glacial Melt-Water and world-class Wildlife.
The first portion of our adventure will be based in Banff National Park, where we will begin with photographing some of the worlds most stunning scenes, at places like Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Two-Jack Lake, Vermillion Lakes and Johnston Canyon. We will keep an eye on the nights as well, with potential for Aurora Borealis, and rich night photography potential.
After experiencing the best of Banff, we will transition to a time in Jasper National Park, with a stop-over in Yoho National Park. An emphasis will be given to time spent in the field, creating incredible images, and working one-on-one with Ken and Josh to improve craft and creativity. We will explore these stunning places with a small group that will maximize your learning, and will ensure greater flexibility for us to get to the very best locations for the conditions that we experience.
All of our instructional workshops will cover two key areas: Craft and Creativity
Professional Craft for Landscape Photography:
• Getting fluent with your gear and developing a consistent workflow in the field
• Achieving an optimal exposure
• Managing depth of field
• Capturing for multiple exposure blending
• Capturing for panoramic stitching
• Using filters effectively
Creativity in the Landscape:
• Core compositional elements in the landscape
• Creative use of depth of field
• Long exposure techniques
• Learning and practicing new compositions
And we’ll also do at least one image review session and share some advanced digital darkroom workflow techniques.
• Instruction in the field: craft and creative strategies for landscape photography
• Image reviews
• Instruction on digital darkroom workflow
• Food and Lodging
• Transportation to and from the workshop
• Participants carpool during the workshop
• Park entrance fees (All Canadian National Parks are Free in 2017)
Most of the locations that we will photograph on this trip will feature easy access, but there will be a couple which will require moderate exertion at high elevation. None of our hikes will go beyond 5 miles but you’ll need high fitness and experience hiking in difficult terrain to manage this tour safely.
• Digital SLR Camera
• Tripod with Cable Release and L Bracket
• Wide Angle Lens and Telephoto Zoom Lens (We use the 16-35mm and 70-200)
• Filters: Circular Polarizer
• Lots of Memory Cards
• Extra Camera Batteries
• Micro-fiber Cloths
• Camera Bag/Backpack for Gear and Food/Water
Clothing for a variety of weather conditions from 15F to 50F
• Rain Jacket and Pants
• Down Layer
• Hiking Boots (Insulated winter boots are recommended)
• Gloves and Hat
• Plenty of Wool Socks
• Moisture Wicking Base Layer
• Traction Device for Boots, in case we experience any icy paths. (Kahtoola MICROspikes are a great option)
Our first base of operations will be in Banff, Alberta within Banff National Park and from there we’ll move on to stay for a couple of nights in Jasper, Alberta within Jasper National Park. We will arrange rooms to be blocked off in both locations at a discounted rate for your convenience. However, you may choose to stay elsewhere if you prefer. We’ll e-mail you a detailed itinerary so you can make your hotel reservations. Be advised that the first portion of our trip in Banff will take place over the Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday, so booking lodging and rental car as early as possible would be wise.
After reviewing the tour info and policies, please fill out & sign the tour registration form and then contact me via the contact form. To pay the deposit, we will send you a PayPal invoice, or you can mail me a check if you prefer.